Moisture and mold, they go hand-in-hand, especially in your home. But there are several ways that you can prevent mold build-up while still being eco-friendly.
The most important prevention is looking for moisture, standing water or condensation, and getting rid of it quickly. Dry up any standing water on the shower floor. Keep the shower curtain closed so no mold builds up in the creases. Remember to run the exhaust fan while showering. All exhaust fans in the house, bathroom and stove, should lead to the outside, not into your attic where it can increase the moisture level. If you are building or remodeling and plan to use drywall, consider using a mold resistant product, such as EcoRock. This environment friendly drywall is paperless and moisture resistant.
If any windows, pipes or walls are showing condensation, dry them quickly and find the reason for it as well. Air flow is very important, if your drapes are blocking the air vent, you will see condensation on your windows. You may want to buy a moisture meter for your home, you want to keep it between 35 and 50 percent. A dehumidifier can also help, but be sure to keep it clean and not let the tank overfill.
Your a/c unit can help greatly if used correctly. Keep the thermostat set at 75 degrees F while you are home and 80 degrees when you are gone. Turning off the a/c will allow humidity to build up and that produces mold. Also, be sure you have the right size HVAC for your home, too big or small will waste energy.
You should cover any crawl spaces with a 6 mm polyethylene plastic vapor barrier to trap ground water that seeps up and adds moisture vapors to your home. Keep water flow diverted from your foundation as much as possible, such as keeping gutters clean.
Do not leave wet items lying around the house, nor leave wet clothes in the washing machine where mold grows quickly. Moist soil in your house plant attracts mold. To prevent this, add Taheebo tea to the water for your plant. This tea has mold resistant properties that work even in the rainforests. If you have spots that are especially hard to keep dry, spray the area with white distilled vinegar and let it sit, the smell will clear in a few hours. This can kill 82% of mold species.
If the worst happens and you find mold in your home, clean it immediately, and if it is too much for you to clean call a mold remediation professional.